Ray County Courthouse
100 W. Main St., Richmond, MO 64085-1755
Phone 816-776-4500

Hours: Monday thru Friday - 8 AM - 12 PM and 1 PM - 4 PM
NACo Member

Ray County Recorder of Deeds

Shirley O'Dell
Phone 816-776-4500
Email - raycorecorder@hotmail.com

Office Hours:
Rhonda Cooper
Deputy Recorder
Diane Beltz
8 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1 - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
This office is closed on county holidays.

The Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording the following documents in request and compliance with statutes:

• Real Estate Deeds
• Subdivision Plats
• Surveys
• Power of Attorney
• Tax Liens
• Universal Commercial Code Documents (Real Estate Only)
• Military Discharges
• Marriage Licenses

Guidelines for obtaining a marriage license

Both parties must appear together, in person, to fill out the application. You will need:

• Identification requirements for U.S. Citizens -- A valid driver's license, or government picture I.D., U.S. passport, military I.D. will be required.

• Identification for individuals who are not U.S. Citizens -- A valid U.S. government documentation must be provided. Acceptable documentation includes a valid passport with a visa or U.S. entry stamp, or driver's license, tax identification number and an official copy of a translated birth certificate if proof of age is not included in the above documents.

Non English speaking applicants must provide an interpreter. The interpreter must be willing to sign a notarized affidavit attesting that he/she is fluent verbally and can read the language of the applicants. The interpreter has asked correctly of the applicants and answered truthfully their responses to Missouri Department of Health form MO06404. The interpreter must have a valid photo I.D. and be 18 years of age or older. There will be a $2.00 cash fee for filing notarized affidavit. The interpreter understands he/she may be summoned or subpoenaed to Court for any legal matters rising from the issuance of the Marriage License.

Couple must not be related to each other through and including first cousins.

The license may be issued at the time of application if the ceremony is being performed within 30 days (RSMo451.040). The license must be used within 30 days in the State of Missouri only.

(cash only, no checks or credit cards ... non-refundable)

Marriage License -

YOUR LICENSE IS VALID FOR THIRTY DAYS STARTING THE DAY ISSUED. After that date the license is no longer valid and may not be used.

(money order
must accompany mail-in request)

Proof of your marriage is available upon request in person or by mail. For mail-in requests, please include the groom's full name, bride's maiden name, date of marriage.

Certificate of Letter of Marriage
License -

Certified copy of Marriage License with the Recorder's Seal -

Please mail your requests to:


Previously married applicants will be asked to provide the date their last marriage ended by death or divorce.

You will be asked to affirm all information is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and that you are free to marry under the laws of the state of Missouri. Your signature on the application is considered sworn affirmation.

Under-Age Applicants

Applicants under the age of 18 must bring a parent or legal guardian to give consent to the marriage. If the parents are divorced, the custodial parent must present the divorce decree showing proof of custody. Under-age applicants must bring their birth certificate along with another form of identification, which shows their social security number.

The custodial parent must be present at the time of application and must have proper identification. (Valid driver's license and birth certificate of the child with parents name).

Any applicant age 15 and under must make an appointment with a Circuit Judge and appear with a parent or legal guardian to obtain a special order giving consent to the marriage. The applicant and parent must then bring the order from the Judge to the Recorder of Deeds to apply for the marriage license along with birth certificate and proof of social security number.

Persons solemnizing marriages (Sec. 451.100 as amended 1989)

Marriages may be solemnized by any clergyman, either active or retired, who is in good standing with any church or synagogue in this state, or by any judge of a court of record. Marriages may also be solemnized by a religious society, religious institution, or religious organization of this state, according to the regulations and customs of the society, institution or organization, when either party to the marriage to be solemnized is a member of such society, institution or organization.

Marriage license must be returned to the Recorder's Office from which issued within 15 days after the marriage. Failure to make such return is a misdemeanor.

The license used or not used must be returned to our office.

© Copyright 2014, Ray County, Missouri, All Right Reserved